Distributed Multihead X

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Tue Feb 1 17:56:31 PST 2011

We're having some issues getting our software to work on a display well
which is configured to use DMX.

We're pretty sure the issue started coming up when we began dlopen()ing
the OpenGL library.  The problem appears to be getting NULL function
pointers when glXGetProcAddressARB'ing some or all OpenGL functions
(though I'll note that I do not have access to the failing system --
however we've seen that crash many times before and the crash report is
consistent).

Looking at the docs that are available, it seems like there should
be some sort of GLX proxy library -- perhaps a full replacement for
libGL, since GLX must live in the GL library?  My hypothesis is that
we're loading the 'backend' GLX library, i.e. what the GLX proxy should
be forwarding to, instead of the proxy itself, and therefore Badness
ensues.

Side note, is DMX alive?  I mean, it appears to be shipping and all,
but the main source of documentation is dmx.sf.net -- which hasn't seen
an update since 2004.

I haven't found much documentation as to the architecture.  If someone
could enlighten me, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help,

-tom