How to get two monitors working in Linux?

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmx.de
Wed Dec 28 05:14:06 PST 2011

Am Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:31:41 +0100
schrieb Ben Bucksch <linux.news at bucksch.org>:

> I propose you use

>   * xrandr: Your monitors will by default both show the same picture.
He has *explicitly* mentioned wanting to use two separate X screens
(without having windows from one screen appearing on the other),
otherwise he'd also probably just tried twinview instead wrestling with
xorg.conf

@monitorxxx
No idea about the twisted display positions* but in order to have DE
and WM on both screens, you've to run them on both screens (.xprofile
or whatever) ie. using "-display :0.0" and "-display :0.1" for "pcmanfm
--desktop --display :0.0" and whatever WM you're using (openbox?)

I guess you're aware that this setup and without xinerama will NOT
allow you to move windows across desktops/screens at all - in case you
want such, you're indeed better off with nvidia + TwinView or nouveau +
xrandr.

Nvidia issues are best discussed at
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14 - the binary blob
is not part of Xorg and not much appreciated around here either ;-)
(yet tbf: it's far better than fglrx and actually still the only sane
solution if you want decent OpenGL support. Sorry, now ban me :-P)

*
1) here's a good hint:
if you do use the nvidia driver, have nvidia-settings write xorg.conf
and don't start to write around yourself unless you precisely know what
you're doing
2) the visual representation in the dialog maybe broken, important in
this setup is only that moving the cursor left out of the right monitor
will bring it on the left one and vv.

Cheers,
Thomas