XInput: Atmel maXTouch Digitizer touch screen

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Thu Dec 22 07:47:32 PST 2011

On 12/22/2011 04:48 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> On 22.12.2011 07:41, Chase Douglas wrote:
>> You can fiddle with the input class like you have been to resolve this.
>> Add these lines to your input class:
>>
>> Driver "evdev"
>> Option "Mode" "Absolute"
>
> I did this, but then the clicks by tapping don't work at all anymore.
> I.e. mouse cursor follows my finger, but I cannot activate anything.

If I had to guess, BTN_TOOL_FINGER is likely still getting in the way of
things in the evdev driver.

>> Or, fix your driver so it works properly. Simply removing the
>> registration of the BTN_TOOL_EVENT should work. It doesn't even use
>> BTN_TOOL_FINGER. I've seen this exact issue on almost every driver of
>> Android origin, like they're all copy&  pasted.
>
> Do you think I should still proceed this way, given above?

It looks like you need to fix your kernel driver. You could hack up
xserver-xorg-input-evdev to disregard the BTN_TOOL_FINGER event, but I
would only do that if you can't fix the kernel driver.

>> You may know this already as well, but your driver/device is only
>> operating as a single-touch capable device. maXTouch chips all support
>> at least some multitouch, IIRC. There is an upstream Linux driver for
>> these chips, and it supports multitouch.
>
> Yes, I know. For a start, I'd be quite happy to get a single finger and
> a nice onscreen keyboard working properly.
>
> You mean hid-multitouch or some other one? The hid-multitouch didn't
> work, because the USD IDs are not registered and apparently the udev
> rules trich failed as well. I'll try adding the IDs and recompile the
> kernel, if you think that will make it work properly.

No, the maXTouch chips are handled by atmel_mx_ts in
drivers/input/touchscreen/atmel_mx_ts.c.

-- Chase