rRadeon 9000 + X.Org 1.11.2 + EnablePageFlip + opengl = crash

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Tue Dec 6 14:04:57 PST 2011

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 08:46:41 +0000
Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Giuliano Pochini <pochini at shiny.it> wrote:
> > First, my config:
> >
> > 0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 If [Radeon 9000] (rev 01)
> >
> > Linux Jay 3.1.0 #3 SMP Tue Nov 1 17:58:39 CET 2011 ppc 7455, altivec supported PowerMac3,6 GNU/Linux
> >

> > When EnablePageFlip is enabled the machine crashes as soon as another
> > window hides any part of the glxgears window. The screen turns off and a
> > hard reset is needed (Rsys+B does not work). I'm not using KMS.
>
> Thats probably the problem then. Supporting UMS is not on anyones list
> that cares anymore.

Well, I think EnablePageFlip was just ignored in older versions of
Xorg or kernel. Now, when EnablePageFlip is enabled, glxgears runs about
15% faster, while it made no difference before.

I also tried KMS. When EnablePageFlip is enabled glxgears renders nothing
and X freezes immediately except the mouse pointer. After a few second the
screen blanks and a reboot is the only cure.

W/o EnablePageFlip it works better. glxgears looks OK, but it runs at
60fps. xterm colours are wrong. Everything else seems fine. Running other
3D apps (Nexuiz, Scorched3D) works fine at first, but seconds or minutes
later it locks up the same way without any symptom before that moment.

> So unless its a regression in the kernel and you can bisect it I'm not
> sure you'll see much help.

Plus I have pretty old hardware and hard lock ups are hard to debug...

--
Giuliano.