rminitadapter failed

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Fri Aug 19 09:04:06 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 01:18:08AM -0700, Sapfeer wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm stuck with possible X server error - when I boot OS it works for a
> while, 5-15 minutes and the X crashes with message 'rminitadapter
> failed'. I start it again after several minutes and it works fine for
> some time and then crashes again. I can't provide more details right now
> - I'll be able to post X server logs a bit later. Can anyone at least
> briefly explain what is going on and whether this problem can relate to X
> server, but not to my video card?..

It sounds like you're using the NVIDIA driver and that the kernel module is
failing to initialize your graphics card.  I would suggest looking at
/var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages for errors.  If you need more
assistance, please run nvidia-bug-report.sh and send the resulting
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to linux-bugs at nvidia.com.

Sincerely,
Aaron