xf86-video-dummy with randr support - is anyone else interested? Alternatives?

Leho Kraav leho at kraav.com
Thu Aug 11 02:42:16 PDT 2011

On 10.07.2011 21:17, Alan Cox wrote:

 >> Alternatives? I cannot find any other driver that would act as a virtual
 >> screen like xf86-video-dummy, but would provide a RandR-compliant
 >> framebuffer for me. I don't think Xephyr, Xdmx, Xvnc, x2x and whatnot
 >> others can help me here, Awesome needs to see something as a regular
 >> RandR screen next to the built in panel. Or is it possible to fake this
 >> display somehow while being forwarded to another Xserver copy?
 >
 > Actually they can do. The way I have my little one set up for debugging
 > and devel work is to create separate X server for it and then I can bind
 > input devices to it or use x2x as well as using the input filters to make
 > it grab the actual touchscreen. If you want it to just hotplug you'll
 > need udev rules as well, and depending upon your auth needs possible gdm
 > scripting.

Right, synergy is also an option here probably next to x2x.

 > If you want persistence you could look at making your main desktop bigger
 > than the display and then using x11vnc to export the undisplayed corner
 > to the displaylink server ?

I don't think it's possible to have a disproportionate rectangle added
with xrandr? Watch out, ASCII art coming up.

|-------|
| THIS  |
|-------|----------|
|                  |
|                  |
|------------------|

 >> In case any awesome devs are here, would it actually make sense to patch
 >> it on awesome side? Which work list is greater?
 >
 > The big problem with RandR and friends is that the moment you include a
 > Displaylink device all your 3D vanishes on all the desktops. This is

Having lived with this thing now for some more time, I'm pretty certain
I'd like some kind of a dynamically created in-memory RandR screen.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/xorg/msg52313.html Adam Jackson's reply
here to someone else seems to imply such a beast is possible.

I wonder if it is possible to have this dummy screen without a
pre-defined ServerLayout.

Until then, it looks I will have to run dual X servers.

--
Leho Kraav, M.Sc.

http://leho.kraav.com