poor video playback performace with radeon

Taneli Vähäkangas taneli.vahakangas at cs.helsinki.fi
Mon Aug 8 14:50:34 PDT 2011

Hello.

Watching 1080p 25fps mpeg4 video content (from a blu-ray disc) is
not possible, the display rate is less than 10fps. (The AACS
decryption of the content has been done separately off-line, before
watching.) I have tried vlc, mplayer and ffplay, which all exhibit
the same problem.

I have this hardware (from lshw):
product: Cedar PRO [Radeon HD 5450]
product: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
(more info available by request, I don't know what would be
relevant)

I'm running ubuntu natty and have open source
xserver-xorg-video-ati driver from xorg-edgers PPA, version:
1:6.14.99+git20110801.104b2d7c-0ubuntu0sarvatt~natty

Given the hardware and drivers, is this expected behaviour? What do
I need to do to improve the situation? I'm assuming that I may be
lacking some sort of acceleration support, but I could not find
conclusive and up-to-date documentation about the different
technologies (DRI, DRI2, KMS, GEM, GLX, Gallium, Mesa, EXA, XAA,
UXA, VA, Xv, XvMC, XvBA, VDPAU, and so on) to help analyse the
situation.

In general, the system is responsive and for example watching dvds,
glxgears or xmoto fullscreen is very smooth. There are two monitors
connected, and I'm using metacity as window manager.

Please keep me cc:d in replies as I'm not on the list. If this is
the wrong forum, could you kindly point me to a better one.

Cheers,

	Taneli