Display resolution not changing in intel 845 bord

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 3 06:35:55 PDT 2011

On 2011/08/03 17:35 (GMT+0530) hemanth kumar composed:

> i am trying to set up RHEL 5.1 client in my IBM netvista Client.
> When i tried to intall in GUI mode,i got the Error "mini-wm: Fatal IO Error
> ( Connection reset bye peer) on X server :1:0"
> So then i installed inn command mode.installation was successful.then i gave
> startx command,i got the following error

> X Window System Version 7.1.1
> Release Date: 12 May 2006
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp i686 Red Hat, Inc.
> Current Operating System: Linux desktop 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10
> 16:34:02 EDT 2007 i686
> (EE) I810(0): No Video BIOS modes for chosen depth.
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
> XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
>        after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

> then i tried X -configure command, now i am able to boot in GUI,new
> configuration file also created.But i am not able to change the
> resolution.it stays in 640x480,nothing else listed.

> My system details...

> Processor P4 2.4GHZ,
> Chipset Intel 845G
> Monitor HP7450 CRT
> RAM 1GB

> any one faced and fixied this kind of issue?

The xorg.conf X -configure generated is just a skeleton, inadequate for your
hardware. You should probably have system-config-display installed, which
should do a better job than X -configure did.

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.conf-i845G-1600x1200x120-gx260-centos55.04
is from a CentOS 5.5 system similar to RHEL 5.1, on a Dell GX260, which uses
the same 845G video that your system uses. Hopefully it will work better for
you than the xorg.conf you have now. It might need tweaking, but should be
adjustable more to your liking if necessary.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/