xmodmap keystrings (2)

Marty Jack martyj19 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 26 12:41:50 PDT 2011

On 04/26/2011 11:35 AM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 04/26/11 08:19 AM, frank wrote:
>>
>> Hello Alan,
>>
>> Thanks for replying. It seems I didn't make myself clear.
>>
>> Please go to a graphic terminal, press ^V then F1 or F2 or Home or
>> Left or any of the functional keys. You are inserting the keystring
>> associated with those keys. Home for instance has "^[OH" (not same
>> as in text console).
>>
>> Where are these strings listed? Surely there must be a header file
>> somewhere? How it is called? Where is it?
>
> Those are defined in the terminal emulator you are using, not X itself,
> and have nothing to do with xmodmap.
>
> Check the source code of xterm, gnome-terminal, etc.  (Sorry, I don't
> know the exact .c or .h file there.) They should be  referenced in the
> matching termcap/terminfo entries as well.

If you go to http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html and look for the sections beginning at "PC-Style Function Keys" section, it is a start.  These are for xterm but almost all terminal emulators will do this the same way.

These codes are based on what hardware that was produced in the late 1970 and early 1980 timeframe sent when you pressed their keys.