Every newcomers to X think that servers and clients are reversedbecause they are

Jordan Hayes jordan at bitway.com
Wed Apr 20 05:26:13 PDT 2011

Paul Dufresne writes:

> The design decision that was made was to make the
> applications the clients, and the program that sits
> next to keyboard and monitor the server.

There are cases where the server doesn't "sit next to" the keyboard,
mouse, and monitor.  I use VNC for my "hardware" on headless machines
that are thousands of miles from my keyboard.  And of course the
keyboard is virtual as well, so I have many of them.

X makes this easy.

> The question is what are the ressources you want to share?
> Now the ressources shared seems to be the keyboard, mouse and
> monitor.

I just want to share the desktop and the clipboard; the X server allows
me to do that.

> Why would someone want to share his monitor, keyboard an mouse
> on the net?  That does not seems useful.

You're probably right, it's not useful for you.  As for the millions of
the rest of us who have found X useful in the last 2+ decades ... well,
we must be wrong, eh?

We await your development of a Properly Named Windowing System.

Cheers,

/jordan