i couldn't start an application which is installed on the Server with Graphic User Interface

tian kong thisisasafeaccount at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 02:51:42 PDT 2011

i connected to a Server which is using SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2
(x86_64).
I have just installed xCrySDen on the Server. I want to open it with a
graphic user interface when i use a ssh client( F-Secure ssh client ) to
connect to the server.

When i use F-Secure ssh client in Windows 7, login in the server, then start
xCrySDen, it failed with the following text:

Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable
Error in startup script: can't read "xcrys(platform)": no such variable
   while executing
"if { $xcrys(platform) == "windows" } {
   # testing ...
   rename exec _tcl_exec

   proc exec {args} {
       global env

       # first try a normal exec..."
   (file
"/home/users/luttangfl/software/XCrySDen-1.5.21-bin-semishared/Tcl/cygwin.tcl"
line 19)
   invoked from within
"source $system(TOPDIR)/Tcl/cygwin.tcl"
   (file
"/home/users/luttangfl/software/XCrySDen-1.5.21-bin-semishared/Tcl/xcInit.tcl"
line 433)

then, i tried the command xlogo, it said:
Error: Can't open display:

When i use Putty( another ssh client) in Windows 7, enable the X11
forwarding in Putty, it still couldn't open the graphic user interface.

But when i used Ubuntu10.04, open the terminal, and use the following
command: ssh -l abc -p 222 111.111.111.111 -X, and then after i login into
the server and start xCrySDen, it works, i can see the application's graphic
user interface.
i want it works correctly when the clients' OS is Windows. Can you help me?
Thx a lot !!!!