Dvorak-Qwerty Keyborad Layout

Thomas Berger ridershome at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 03:15:56 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm using the US Dvorak keyboard layout with X.Org X Server 1.9.0. The
problem I have is that control-key and alt-key keys are also mapped, so that
ctrl-c becomes ctrl-i, etc. Is there a way to have the Dvorak keyboard
layout, but if one presses control or alt it uses the Qwerty keyboard
layout? This layout is available by default on Mac OSX. The reasons for such
a layout is that the common copy/paste hotkeys X, C, and V remain on the
left hand, and so can be used while the right hand is on the mouse.

Regarding this issue I found the following workarounds, which did not work
as expected:

http://code.google.com/p/dvorak-qwerty/
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4660238.html?sid=e2605ed35a9188210eeb03f07d615279

Can such a Dvorak-Qwerty layout be implement/configured in xorg?

Regards,

Thomas