headless 3D

Ata Roboubi ata at earthdetails.com
Sat Sep 25 14:57:17 PDT 2010

Gentleman, you two are godsends.

> ))In the monitor section add:
> Option "Enable" "true"

this returned a slightly modified error, saying the Radeon was enabled
but no modes, even though I had the ModeLine explicitly specified.
Still crashed X.

> Will KMS come up without a display, or should Ata force user modesetting ?

I added "nomodeset" to my kernel options, and X started. Direct
Rendering working with glxgears at 2700 fps on that crappy old card. I
think it was only doing 1500 with the monitor attached. Not sure if
that is related to anything here.

Two one liners = 1 solution. I love it. Thanks a bunch guys. :)

Ata.