Monitor not automatically managed by X after hotplugged

Jacques, Hugo Hugo.Jacques at verint.com
Fri Sep 24 11:57:51 PDT 2010

I am running an Intel 945G-based system (with only a VGA output)
With a Linux 2.6.35.5 kernel, Xserver 1.9.0, xf86-video-intel 2.12.901 on a homegrown distro.

If I:

1. Boot my system with the VGA cable disconnected
2. Wait for X to start
3. Plug the VGA monitor into the system

Then, VGAmonitor gets the console output, not X.
Note that even if I do a "xrandr --output VGA1 --mode auto" between above steps 2 and 3,this changes nothing.
Same thing if I force the mode to be, say, 640x480.

But after step 3 if y do a xrandr --output VGA1 --mode auto, X then manages the video output as expected.

This kind of thing used to work with 2.9.29.6 kernel, and xf86-video-intel 2.7.0 (I know, it has been a while. KMS has appeared since then.)

Any idea if this is "as designed" or a bug ?

I noted that I get a similar behavior on Ubuntu 10.10, which has more or less similar components: If the VGA monitor is now plugged in when system boots, no luck, it won't fly.

Right now, the only workaround I can think of is listen to the uvent generated by the monitor plugging and then call xrandr. Any better ideas?

Hugo Jacques, ing.
Verint Systems Inc.
Email    hugo.jacques at verint.com
This electronic message may contain proprietary and confidential information of Verint Systems Inc., its affiliates and/or subsidiaries.
The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or
entity(ies) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this e-mail for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone this message or any information contained in this message.  If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by replying to this e-mail.