Getting current config

James - coyoteboyuk at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 24 02:08:51 PDT 2010

Morning all (here at least), newb here!

I've got a problem with the new (to me) .conf-less config, in that I need to add a driver (ELO Serial touchscreen) into the xorg.conf, or at least that is what all of the instructions I find tell me, as it isn't auto-detected. The problem is I no longer have a xorg.conf as I'm in Ubuntu 10.04 and it's all done dynmaically. I tried creating a new xorg.conf to over-ride the dynamic setup and allow me to add to it by using

Xorg -configure
and later, after hours of black screens...
Xorg -configure -retro

but both give me black screens and seem to take away my keyboard input. IS there a better way of "dumping" current, dynamically found, config to a .conf for modification? It would seem pretty obvious that there is an option for this as such tweaks are pretty common and to have to write one from scratch seems a bit daft if the computer already "knows" one that works, but I can't track down how to do it.

If there's a better way of achieving the addition of the touchscreen I'd love to know that instead, the drivers come in the distro pre-compiled. The instructions for installation suggest adding an inputdevice section and adding a line to the serverlayout section, now I can add a .conf for the inputdevice section into the xorg.conf.d no problem, but where do I add the serverlayout section? I'd need to include the whole current serverlayout, which I don't know, or I'm just guessing.

Cheers
James