Create a *real* top level window

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Sep 23 07:43:40 PDT 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:40:47 +0200 Eeri Kask <Eeri.Kask at mailbox.tu-dresden.de>
said:

> On 09/23/2010 03:06 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <raster at rasterman.com> wrote:
> >> BTW, as most WMs also deal with input focus management,
> >> and as most WMs wrongly ignore OverrideRedirect windows
> >> in practise, you have to forcefully 'recover' focus too
> >> on each FocusOut event... the same you raise the window
> >> (assuming your client expects input of course).  :-)
>
> > wrongfully ignore override-redirect? they have little choice.
> > x11 core has defined that they are to bypass the wm.
> > no map redirects for them. dont blame wm's.
>
> No I don't,  though it looks like the current server implementation
> only ensures WMs have no advantage in knowing something about their
> geometrical structure '_in_advance_'  (in respect to all other
> clients).  I haven't read, but maybe the spec just says this. :-)

map redirects dont provide "advance knowledge". they provide an intercept
point. override-redirect windows bypass such an intercept point. the wm can
only passively listen and try and "fight" these windows after-the-fact. and
that just leads to a complete mess  they are intended for bypassing the wm.
also as such focus out doesnt need to be "fought" by stealing focus back. it
can grab the keyboard and until its killed off as a client, will keep the
keyboard control until it gives it up.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com