Create a *real* top level window

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Thu Sep 23 06:53:37 PDT 2010

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster at rasterman.com> writes:
> modules/plugins at least in enlightenment (0.17 devel) can let you do just
> about anything as they run inside the wm and have all privileges the wm enjoys.

Thanks for the hints. However, if the window manager runs as normal
user then normal user can easily use e.g. ptrace() to connect to the
wm and disable any such features. Are you aware of any window managers
that'd support running them as a separate user? At least with icewm
that does not quite work => all processes started from its menus would
then also be started as this separate wm-user and not the normal
unprivileged user.

If I prefix all menu entries with "sudo -u normal-user ..." then I can
not let normal users modify the menus, clearly not an option.