Create a *real* top level window

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Tue Sep 21 18:14:50 PDT 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:40:44 -0400 Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> said:

> On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 15:49 -0600, Burton Samograd wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm looking for a way to create a full screen window that is 'always on
> > top' no matter what is currently running.  I am currently using a
> > standard window with OverrideRedirect set that raises itself every few
> > seconds, which works in pretty much all cases that I need it to except
> > when the user has a screensaver running that locks the station.
> >
> > In this case it ends up fighting with the screensaver and password entry
> > dialogue. This is not acceptable for what I am doing.
> >
> > So the question is: is there a way to create a window that is always
> > topmost in the stacking order that can never be overridden?
>
> Short of either being the window manager, or having a convention with
> your window manager to achieve that, no.

there is an evil trick you can play... that will - for the most part,
technically work (if your drivers don't "suck") these days. but i feel obliged
not to share that trick as every wm/compositor author on the planet will kill
me (hell i'd kill myself) for suggesting it.

in the end what you want requires either the wm+cm implements it - or it
supports it specifically. it's all about mechanism not policy in x11 and in x11
the wm+cm (wm in older days alone) define such policies.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com