strange keyboard problem

Gilles Allard gallard at mmic.net
Fri Sep 10 14:57:05 PDT 2010

I'm replacing an old NCD Xterminal with a new thin client (HP T5745)
powered with Debian V5.0.3
Versions are:
  xorg 1:7.3+20
  xserver-xorg-input-kbd 1:1.3.1-1
My legacy application, running on HPUX 10.20, has problems with the
numLock.
Using xev, I've been able to determine that the new thin client handles
the keyboard codes differently than the NCD terminal.
With NCD terminal:
  numLock only send one event when pressed and released
  numLock cause a change to state 0x40 (mod4?)
With the thin client:
  numLock sends 2 events (pressed and release)
  numLock cause a change to state 0x10 (mod2?)

I also notice that the CapsLock do not work with the ThinClient. The LED
toggles but the caracter generated is always lowercase.

I'm not a X programmer and I'm confused by the complexity of keyboard
configuration files (probably caused by the fact it is feature-rich). Would
you please help me?

Questions:
- is it a bug?
- is it caused by a modification to Xwindow protocol?
- can I modify the xorg configuration to emulate the old way?

Thanks!