getting raw mouse input

Christoph Schied Christoph.Schied at uni-ulm.de
Sun Oct 31 06:30:28 PDT 2010

Dear Xorg list,

I'm currently working on a game and I want to get relative mouse events
(I'm not interested in the position, only the movement in X/Y) with as
low latency as possible and without any kinds of acceleration applied to
it. What is the best way to achieve this in a portable manner?

I had a look in the ezquake[1] sourcecode, they have implemented an
input method which directly reads the evdev mouse events from
/dev/input/eventX. This however has the downside that the user needs
read permission for /dev/input/eventX, which usually isn't the case.

So what would be the best input method for my application?

greetings,
	Christoph

[1] http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/