dynamic Keyboard activation - desactivation

MONDON Daniel Daniel.MONDON at lpgtechnologies.com
Thu Oct 28 05:03:49 PDT 2010

-----Message d'origine-----
De : xorg-bounces+daniel.mondon=lpgtechnologies.com at lists.freedesktop.org [mailto:xorg-bounces+daniel.mondon=lpgtechnologies.com at lists.freedesktop.org] De la part de Magnus Kessler
Envoyé : jeudi 28 octobre 2010 12:59
À : xorg at lists.freedesktop.org
Objet : Re: dynamic Keyboard activation - desactivation

On Thursday 28 October 2010 09:32:29 MONDON Daniel wrote:
> [...]

When using xinput, you might be on the safer side if you use the property
names, rather than their numeric equivalents. The same goes for the device
IDs.

So your example should read (I'm inventing the mouse name here):

xinput --set-prop "My Mouse" "Device Enabled" 0

Many mousse, many names ...

> But this mouse is plugged and identified.
> Will it be se same thing with a constructor other mouse?
>
> It is the same thing with keyboard.
> But with the <xinput --set-prop 11 127 0> command, I have carriage return
> key pressed every time.
>
> Then, I don't think this solution is ok for me!
> Because I think I can't know the new device id for plugged keyboards or
> mouse.
>
> With what I know, I think it is better to set an udev rule.
> Am I right?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.

Again assuming you have a new enough Xorg server (1.8+) you might want to look
into using the configuration snippets in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.

I've got the 1.7.6 Xorg server (ubuntu 10.04).

Peter Hutterer gave an example of blacklisting earlier on this list:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2010-October/051405.html

In the example he gave a device is blacklisted by name, but in fact you can
blacklist an entire range of devices by functionality also:

### /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-blacklist-keyboards.conf ###
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "blacklist all keyboards"
    MatchIsKeyboard "on"
    Option "Ignore" "on"
EndSection
###

Can I use blacklisting dynamically? => keyboard activated or not.
For an overview of today's xorg configuration capabilities please have a look
at Peter's blog posts: http://who-t.blogspot.com/search/label/xorg.conf,
especially http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-configuration-world-
order.html or the documentation for Fedora at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration. And finally, "man
xorg.conf" has some useful information in the InputClass section as well.

I know I can enable - disable keyboard and mouse with xorg.conf file.
But
+ I have to restart
+ I have to set xorg.conf location not under live CD.

The udev rules can be activated dynamically ... what I want to do.

Thanks
Daniel.

Cheers,

Magnus