multiseat/multiple X servers on one card with two or more outputs?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Oct 27 06:07:49 PDT 2010

With two graphics cards, it's possible to set up a multiseat system with
some effort (given that no major distribution supports it out of the box).

I was wondering if it's possible to set up a multiseat system with just
one graphics card (having i.e. HDMI, VGA and DVI outputs)?

The only info I found on the subject is this one[1] from year 2005:

(1) Use a video card that has two complete, separate video systems on
one card, with each one addressable separately on the PCI bus. As far as
I know, only a few Matrox cards fall into this category.

(2) Use cards where each output can be separately driven by the kernel
framebuffer drivers, then layer the X servers on top of that. Usually
used with (1).

(3) Run one X server that covers both screens, then use a nested X
server (Xnest or the k-drive based equivalent) on each screen. This is
inefficient, because there's two layers of X server between the clients
and the hardware.

[1]
http://blog.chris.tylers.info/index.php?/archives/14-Multiseat-X-Under-X11R6.97.0.html

--