[Solved] Re: Dual head on ATI FirePro M5800

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 08:41:05 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Ole Tange <ole at tange.dk> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem was that /etc/modules did not contain 'radeon'. After
> adding that and rebooting everything worked.
>
> I also tried 'modprobe radeon' while running X. This is is not
> recommendable: Apparently that confused X so the display got screwed
> up but X kept running.

If you want to use KMS, you need to load the drm before starting X as
both the drm and the ddx are capable of modesetting, but you only want
1 driver doing the modesetting.  When the drm is loaded in kms mode,
the ddx uses the drm for modesetting.  when the drm is not loaded, the
ddx programs the hw directly.

Alex