Can I temporarily disable a xorg input device driver?

Bernhard Prell bernhard.prell at gmx.net
Wed Oct 20 02:12:25 PDT 2010

Hello,

sorry if this has been asked before (I couldn't find an answer yet) or if it's
obviously documented somewhere (please direct me there, if so).

I would like to temporarily disable/pause the elo touchscreen input driver
(xf86Elo.c) so that I can calibrate it without competing with the driver for
/dev/ttyS0 (it's the serial version).

Somthing like:

* Stop the driver from processing data that comes from /dev/ttyS0

* Do the calibration by interpreting the touch events from /dev/ttyS0 _myself_

* Resume the xorg driver

I don't need help for the calibration itself, just for pausing/resuming the
input driver. (And I dont't want to do it on the console or something without
running X, then it's trivial using "touchcal" or similar)

Is this somehow possible? Or can I accomplish this somehow differently? (Maybe
"redirecting" /dev/ttyS0 temporarily - if such a thing exists.)

Thank you very much in advance for any help,

Bernhard