DisplayID support

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Oct 13 07:15:25 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 08:59 -0400, Marc Ferland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running Linux on a computer-on-module board from
> Kontron. I recently upgraded the kernel from 2.6.33.3 to 2.6.35.4 and
> since that change, Xorg will not detect the LVDS parameters correctly.
> The LVDS actually uses the DisplayID format
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayID) to expose it's specification.
>
> I've bisected this "regression" to commit:
> 61e57a8d72f2336faf39b5d940215cf085e01e6e in the kernel
> (http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=61e57a8d72f2336faf39b5d940215cf085e01e6e).

That's... somewhat surprising.  I was under the impression that
DisplayID lived on a different I2C address than EDID.

> (EE) intel(0): Unknown EDID version 0

You should be able to find whatever we're getting from the device in
either dmesg or in /sys/class/drm/*LVDS*/edid.  I'd be interested in
seeing what your data actually looks like.

> Anyone knows if this has been addressed in a newer Xorg version? Also,
> is there support in the kernel for the DisplayID format?

I wrote a DisplayID parser for Xorg a while ago, but it's not hooked up
to anything yet, mostly because I lacked any actual DisplayID devices to
test it with.  It also has yet to be ported into the kernel, for
basically the same reason.

So, yeah, show me what you've got, we can make this work.

- ajax