X-Arcade Joystick moves the mouse pointer...

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Oct 11 18:48:34 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 09:51:32PM +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
> So I have an old X-Arcade Joystick (USB adapter version).  It looks like
> a USB keyboard, and the left joystick outputs KP-4, KP-8 keypressess.  It
> recently stopped working in Mame, but it's been a while since I used it.
>
> I now notice that moving the joystick moves the cursor.  I wonder if this
> is related, but not sure *why* it's happening.

It's part of our ethnic minority outreach program. This week we're trying to
increase acceptance in Italian plumber communities by making the desktop
controllable like a Super Mario game.

> Other "keys" still work as expected, eg right joystick: gdfrdg.
>
> Assume it's not Ubuntu-specific, so sending here.  I couldn't find any
> reason why a keyboard would effect the pointer...

try hitting Shift+NumLock - does this fix it?
if so, PointerKeys is on, to be disabled in the GNOME keyboard preferences,
tab MouseKeys, that checkbox up the top.

Cheers,
  Peter