Video resolution problem on Dell C600 notebook

Kevin Meyer fleetgoal at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 05:05:30 PDT 2010

Hi,
I've loaded lucid lynx on an old Dell C600 notebook.  Through the GUI
config utility the max video res showing is 800x600.  The screen is
much more capable than that.  I checked the Ubuntu blogs and there are
instructions on how to fix this.  One in particular involves editing
the xorg.conf file.  However, my machine doesn't have a xorg.conf file
in the etc/X11 directory.  I tried running sudo xorg -configure but I
get a fatal server error saying that server is already active for
display 0.  How can I get out of this mess?  Can you help me to
understand how xorg works better so I can fix this?  Thanks.

I have all the needed info on the the ATI Mobility M3 chipset and the
screen resolutions.
Regards,
Kevin