Info about X-architecture

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Mon Oct 4 15:30:21 PDT 2010

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:48:36 -0700 Corbin Simpson <mostawesomedude at gmail.com>
said:

indeed. most hw i have ever seen in embedded has a memory mapped dumb fb as
part of the main memory - the kernel should already support this- if so x will
work just fine (fb drvier). it will work exactly as well as it does on a
desktop or laptop - just no acceleration. this of course depends if you HAVE
any hardware that can do acceleration on your SoC. even then - is it useful? at
worst it may simply be you ave multiple fb's (yuv over/underlay, rgb layer
(8/16/32bpp) and have to configure them correctly on  init and use the right
one to get sensible gfx. xv (yuv layer) may not work in this dumb mode without
some driver work.

your problems really begin when trying to do the yuv support and then
acceleration - if your SoC has anything.. and the big problems begin with 3D if
your SoC has a 3D unit. at this point you'll want to  have your SoC vendor be
helping you out.