Relative positions of screens

Mark Dwyer m2.dwyer at qut.edu.au
Mon Oct 4 00:11:37 PDT 2010

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, I am unable to do Xinerama given that there is other software running on the cluster that cannot have Xinerama turned on (easy if that were the case).  XRandR doesn't return the information I require (I'm pretty sure, would love to be proven wrong).

There are 5 machines each with four monitors.  Other installations around the country are set up exactly the same (separate screens) so for the code to be portable I kinda need to do it this way.

regards
Mark

Am 04.10.10, 12:28 +1000 schrieb Mark Dwyer:
>  I'm trying to draw large scenes on multi monitor setups.  I can get all screens and the resolutions of the screens via:
>
> numberOfScreens = XScreenCount(dpy);
> /* Work out the sizes of the screens */
> for (int j = 0; j<numberOfScreens; j++)
> {
>       Screen *screen = XScreenOfDisplay(dpy, j);
>       SIZE_X = DisplayWidth(dpy,j);
>       SIZE_Y = DisplayHeight(dpy, j);
>       printf("Width::%d\tHeight::%d\n", DisplayWidth(dpy,j), DisplayHeight(dpy,j));
> }
>
> But how can I get where one screen is in relation to another?

Did you try configuring one big screen over all monitors and the Xinerama
API to get positioning? I guess XRandR works similiar these days if
available.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann