radeon driver & EXA option

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 14:53:53 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM, ott0disk <andrearaspitzu at hotmail.it> wrote:

> Hi everybody,i'm having some trouble with the xorg.conf configuration file,i
> recently switched from the amd/ati proprietary driver to the radeon that
> support well my graphic card.Finally i got everything working but i need
> some options to be enabled in xorg,especially :
> Option     "AGPFastWrite"
> Option      "DynamicPM"                     "on"      # Dynamic powersaving.
> Option      "DynamicClocks"
> Option      "ClockGating" "on"    # Assisting option for powersaving.
>
> i tryied to enable them but i know(maybe i'm wrong) that until AccellMethod
> EXA is used i'will not have these working,in fact:
>
> (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
> (II) RADEON(0): Setting EXA maxPitchBytes
> (II) EXA(0): Driver allocated offscreen pixmaps
> (II) EXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
> (II)         Solid
> (II)         Copy
> (II)         Composite (RENDER acceleration)
> (II)         UploadToScreen
> (II)         DownloadFromScreen
> (II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
> (==) RADEON(0): DPMS enabled
> (==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse enabled
> (II) RADEON(0): Set up textured video
> (II) RADEON(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled
> message.
> (WW) RADEON(0): Option "BusType" is not used
> (WW) RADEON(0): Option "AGPMode" is not used
> (WW) RADEON(0): Option "AGPFastWrite" is not used
> (WW) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicPM" is not used
> (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ClockGating" is not used
> (WW) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicClocks" is not used
>
> ...from the log file,i already tryied to turn off exa,i tryed to set the
> AccellMethod to XAA but exa will still be loaded,
> and removing libexa.so from the module path make it crash,someone know how
> to tell xorg to not use exa??thanks in advance

Why do you want to use XAA?  If you are using kms, you can only use
EXA.  Also, if you have an r6xx or newer card, there is only EXA.  XAA
is only an option for older cards with UMS.  Also, if you are using
KMS, power management is done in the kernel and is configured via
sysfs rather than via your xorg.conf.  See the bottom of this page for
more:
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

Alex