libX11 build error

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Wed Nov 24 10:01:04 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 10:05 +0200, Deniz Fer wrote:

> My previous mail had the output of the compiling script which also
> includes the output of configure command. There appears to be no error
> but a lot of warnings which I couldn’t understand. I have added the
> config.log and config.status files in the attachments.

Our build machines are similar, I use Ubuntu 64 bit. Not that it is
critical to have, but in order to reduce differences, you should build
and install the package xorg-sgml-doctools. This will give you the
stylesheets for the docs generated in /nls. It will remove the following
message from config.log:

        configure:5826: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "xorg-sgml-doctools >= 1.5"
        Package xorg-sgml-doctools was not found in the pkg-config search path.
        Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xorg-sgml-doctools.pc'
        No package 'xorg-sgml-doctools' found

I have uninstalled this module (make uninstall) and reconfigured libX11
and /nls still builds correctly.

.pre:

        @$(MKDIR_P) $(@D)
        $(AM_V_GEN)$(RAWCPP) $(RAWCPPFLAGS) $(CPP_FILES_FLAGS) < $< | $(CPP_SED_MAGIC) > $@

where:

        RAWCPP = /usr/bin/cpp
        RAWCPPFLAGS = -undef -traditional
        CPP_FILES_FLAGS = $(WCHAR32_FLAGS)
        WCHAR32_FLAGS = -DWCHAR32=1
        CPP_SED_MAGIC = $(SED) -e '/^\#  *[0-9][0-9]*  *.*$$/d' \
                               -e '/^\#line  *[0-9][0-9]*  *.*$$/d' \
                               -e '/^[         ]*XCOMM$$/s/XCOMM/\#/' \
                               -e '/^[         ]*XCOMM[^a-zA-Z0-9_]/s/XCOMM/\#/' \
                               -e '/^[         ]*XHASH/s/XHASH/\#/' \
                               -e 's,X11_LOCALEDATADIR,$(X11_LOCALEDATADIR),g' \
                               -e '/\@\@$$/s/\@\@$$/\\/'

When you issue the cpp command yourself, it works. When you issue the
make command, you only get the "> $@" part which evaluates to ">
am_ET.UTF-8/XLC_LOCALE".  The variables have the correct value, yet they
don't show up on the emitted cpp command. The problem has to be around
this area. Try some of these:

Edit the generated Makefile to replace the variables with their values.
Build other directories (just cd and "make install") particularly the
specs directory.
Check for any local hack to the make executable.
Build the /config dir in app/xdm
(http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/xdm/) it uses a similar cpp
command.
In a new empty directory, clone the libX11 again and rebuild.

I attached my generated Makefile for comparison.

> I also tried to issue the command you have mentioned before, it
> executes without any error (so the commands used are all valid) but
> the XLC_LOCALE file it creates is empty (probably because I did not
> edit any environment variables).

Mine too is empty. This is normal for some locales.

Good luck.