Tablets with GIMP

Neil Whelchel neilwhelchel at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 22:53:52 PST 2010

Hello,
I have been trying to get a VisTablet working with the GIMP with limited
success. I am not interested in the tablet acting as a core pointer so
I added a section to the xorg configuration:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev tablet"
        MatchVendor "WALTOP"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Option "SendCoreEvents" "false"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

And in the GIMP extended input device configuration  I selected the tablet
device and set its mode to window.
At first glance all worked as expected, then I ran into a problem...
If I center a small drawing window in the middle of my screen, and start
drawing in the middle, all is fine, and I can draw to the edges, however, if I
start from a corner, the GIMP doesn't see the events from the tablet.
My guess is that xorg assumes that the coordinates from the tablet corners are
outside of the GIMP window and does not send events. This looks like a bug,
because if I start in the middle, and go to the edge, all is fine until I
release the pen.

Another problem is that I am unable to find any real documentation on
InputClass. All I can find is bits here and there. Am I looking in the wrong
places or do I need to take on a documentation project?

Thank you,
-Neil-