Evdev keyboard sends keycodes but no keysyms

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Sun Nov 14 09:11:06 PST 2010

Hi all,

yesterday I recompiled xorg, updating from a ca. 3 week old install
using gentoo's live ebuilds. I went into an amusing bug which I narrowed
down a bit.

I'm having the following xorg.conf.d fragment:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "keyboard-de"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XKBOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
        #Option "XKBVariant" "nodeadkeys"
        Option "XKBLayout" "de"
EndSection

Commenting out the nodeadkeys variant lets me use my keyboard: It's us
layout still, but it works. With the XKVariant specified, I don't get
any keysyms (only NoSymbol), just keycodes (according to xev).

Funny enough, invoking

> setxkbmap -rules evdev -layout de -variant nodeadkeys

brings back my keyboard as intended!

During bug-hunting I upgraded xkeyboard-config but that did not seem to
have any effect. So I conclude that something in evdev or xkb is to
blame. I'm including my log - it adds two keyboards because my mouse
receiver is strange, please ignore those.

I'd be grateful for any pointers to what may be messed up. I already
went over recent commits but found nothing obvious.

Cheers,

Simon