could not open the device /dev/nvidia0 (gentoo)

Pierre pinaraf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 07:07:55 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 03 November 2010 14:41:02 Hei Xia wrote:
> hi,all
>
> My nivida is GT 425M,and I downloaded the driver from
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...12-driver.html<http://www.nvidia.com
> /object/linux-display-amd64-260.19.12-driver.html>. (the installer log is
> in the attachment )
>
> However,it doesn't work.
>
> The following is the result of "lspci | grep VGA" (It has 2 graphic cards,
> and I think that's the problem,but how to deal with it?)
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Arrandale Integrated
> Graphics Controller (rev 18)
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0df0 (rev a1)
>
> I've tried the method in http://www.x.org/wiki/NVIDIAProprietaryDriver, it
> doesn't work either.
>

> My file xorg.conf  , /var/log/Xlog.0.log and error message are in
> attachment too.
>
> Thanks in advance.
Hi

If your system uses the nVidia Optimus technology, there is currently no way to
use your nVidia GPU under Linux.
If your system uses a traditional switch between the intel IGP and the nVidia
GPU, make sure you enabled the nVidia GPU.
But in both cases, please remember that the X.org team does *not* maintain nor
support the nVidia proprietary driver.
For support with this driver, please contact nVidia through this forum :
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

 Pierre