Can't get to text console using Alt+Ctrl+F1-F6

Van Snyder Van.Snyder at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon May 3 18:57:46 PDT 2010

I searched in vain for the answer to this question in
http://www.x.org/wiki/FAQ and
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/.

As a consequence of some recent update, I can't get to a text console
using Alt+Ctrl+F1-F6.

I have to do Alt+Ctrl+F11 or Alt+Ctrl+F12 first.

After X starts but before I log in (that is, when the login screen is
still being displayed), Alt+Ctrl+F1 switches to a text console.

After either Gnome or KDE starts, Alt+Ctrl+F1 doesn't switch to a text
console.  Alt+Ctrl+F12 switches to a blank screen, after which Alt+Ctrl
+F1-F6 switch to a text console.  Alt+Ctrl+F7 then switches back to X,
after which Alt+Ctrl+F1-F6 again do not switch to a text console.

This is mostly just an annoyance I'd like to correct, but one of my
computers doesn't have an F12 key.  It uses an old AT 84-key keyboard.
On that computer, it's more than just an annoyance.

Why don't Alt+Ctrl+F1-F6 work any more without Alt+Ctrl+F12 first?
What can I do to repair it?

My kernel is 1.6.18-165.15.1
My distro is CentOs release 5.4 (Final)
My X server is xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.1.1-48.67.el5_4.1

My 88-key keyboard layout is attached.  The number in the bottom right
corner of each box is the keycode reported by xev.

Keycodes and unshifted keysyms for that beyboard, as reported by xev,
are attached.

--
Van Snyder                    |  What fraction of Americans believe
Van.Snyder at jpl.nasa.gov       |  Wrestling is real and NASA is fake?