[ANNOUNCE] Deprecation of xf86-video-nv

Andy Ritger aritger at nvidia.com
Mon Mar 29 16:12:47 PDT 2010

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski wrote:

> --
>
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Andy Ritger wrote:
>

>> Historically, NVIDIA developed and maintained the xf86-video-nv X driver,
>>
>> Our advice to owners of NVIDIA GPUs running Linux is to use the VESA X
>> driver from the time of Linux distribution installation until they can
>> download and install the NVIDIA Linux driver from their distribution
>> repositories or from nvidia.com.
>
> then NVIDIA could be so kind and fix the "NVIDIA Linux driver"
> to build and work properly with alternate libc implementations, like
> uclibc (glibc is hard-linked in libGL supplied with The Driver)

Hello, Piotr.

No, glibc is not statically linked into NVIDIA's libGL.so, if that
is what you mean to imply.

If uclibc provided the same ABI as glibc then I would expect NVIDIA's
libGL.so to work with uclibc.  However, my understanding is that binary
compatiblity (either with glibc or even with prior uclibc releases)
is a non-goal of the uclibc project.

For better or worse, the NVIDIA driver is provided as binary-only,
so it is not terribly well suited to deal with system library binary
interface changes.

Sorry,
- Andy