GSoC: KMSifying cirrus?

Derek Fawcus dfawcus+lists-fdo-xorg at employees.org
Wed Mar 24 09:22:09 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:02:20AM -0400, Daniel Gnoutcheff wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I'm planing to apply for GSoC, and Xorg is one of the projects I'm
> considering. I see that "KMS a non-KMSed driver" is on the ideas list.
> One of the ideas I'm considering is the KMSification of the cirrus
> driver (at least the alpine half of it). Would there be any interest in
> such a project?

Well,  if you're going to do that,  I'd suggest a pre-req - fully split
the Alpine and Laguna drivers.  I wanted to do that during the XFree86
days,  but there was resistance,  so they ended up with the weird (IMO)
two subdrivers under the cirrus driver.  Despite having the same manufactorer,
they are almost completely different.