xf86-input-wacom slow downs starting xorg

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Mar 14 21:40:45 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 05:14:40AM +0100, Stephan Raue wrote:
> my system with Xorg-server-1.7.5 needs about 8-10sec to start in my
> application. if i use xf86-input-wacom-0.10.4 for an thinkpad x200t
> with touch buildin it needs about 4 sec more to start. is this
> normal or is it possible to optimize the starttime?

the wacom driver is relatively complex and the boot process definitely  has
room for optimization. some of this work has already been done. Have you
compared 0.10.4 against the current git master? Things should have improved
by a little bit already.

There's a few areas where we are not particularly efficient. ATM the driver
has hardcoded sleeps in it to wait for a reply from a serial tablet (I think
yours is a serial one). During the init period we can't just allocate a
timer and go with it, we actually need to wait until the tablet has
responded to us. That can be done better than a simple usleep though...

Cheers,
  Peter