Yeelong and SiliconMotion driver: asking for developers

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Mar 10 01:16:24 PST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 08:51:56AM +0000, Owain Ainsworth wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:22:28PM -0430, Octavio Rossell wrote:
> > The idea of this wiki:
> > http://gnu.org.ve/~octavio/lemote/doku.php?id=siliconmotiondriver
> > is to collect all info for makin this easy. If any of you have more info
> > or has a technical correction is ok (is on free editing mode) but is
> > only a space where to put the info with an universal scope.
>
> Can you please clarify what the comments about GPLv3 are supposed to
> mean on that page? Is it a reference to a non-public discussion?
>
> If the current driver is licensed under the MIT/X11 license (as it would
> appear that it is) changing it without adding substantial new work is
> legally questionable at best. Furthermore, changing this license after
> adding to it could be considered to be obnoxious and anti-community.

Anyone's free to tack on a more restrictive license to their work, which
would bring the entire collection under the same license, but yeah, it
would be incredibly obnoxious.  X.Org's does not (currently) accept GPL
packages anyway, so we couldn't merge it back.

I heard vague rumblings about the FSF convincing Silicon Motion to
relicense it as GPLv3+ in private, with complete disregard for X.Org.
Good for the FSF: maybe they can do all the work on it then.

Cheers,
Daniel