Problems with pure X11 program's Fonts

Harald Braumann harry at unheit.net
Thu Mar 4 05:36:00 PST 2010

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 09:13:18PM +0800, Aaron Lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'm trying CrossOver for Linux , it's a pure X11 Program , and i
> got an ugly UI.
>  It's problem with my fonts. I know i should modify ~/.Xdefaults .
>
> Google ain't giving much information , do anyone knows howto change
> X11 defaults fonts ?
I guess you don't mean CrossOver-Wine and you're talking about core
fonts?

Start xfontsel and select the font, you'd like to
use. Copy the font specification and add it to your ~/.Xdefaults, like
this:
*font: -*-helvetica-*-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Then call `xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults' or restart X.

This will change the default font for all good old X programmes. If you
only want to change the font for CrossOver, you'd have to do:
<app>*font: ...

Of course you first have to find out what <app> is for CrossOver. Usually
programmes that can be configured through xresources document that
somewhere.

If xfontsel doesn't show you nice fonts, you have to add more FontPath
entries to your xorg.org.

harry