SiS troubles xorg

Roland Miyamoto roland.miyamoto at rbg-hi.de
Sun Jun 27 15:56:43 PDT 2010

Dear xorg community,

Trying to set up Gentoo on an Epson Endeavor PT-2100

   http://www2.ttcn.ne.jp/~TATSUYUKI-SATO/rpc-pt2100.htm

and I've been stuck with setting up the X server for weeks now.

   Card: SiS 630/730
   Monitor: 15" TFT XGA 1024x768 True Color

startx enters graphics mode without much complaint, but the graphics
screen is condensed horizontally to about one third and moved to the
right so that I see about half of the screen on the very left edge of my
monitor, flickering, unreadable. The rest, about five sixth of my
monitor stays black. Sorry, don't own a digicam, so can't send a photo.

My xorg.conf is this:

   http://math.usask.ca/~auer/gentoo/xorg.conf

X's answer in Xorg.0.log reads

   http://math.usask.ca/~auer/gentoo/Xorg.0.log

Tried 800x600 and 640x480, too, mostly with DefaultDepth 24 and with all
kinds of ranges for HorizSync and VertRefresh. Never obtain anything
like a recognisable graphics screen. After so many attempts I am about
to give up. Please help.

As you can see, I have also tried to tamper with the modes.
What is the Option "InternalModes" for? Do I have to switch it off, in
order to push my own mode.

sisfb and fb0 are modules rather than built into the linux kernel.

Does the line
   (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
indicate anything critical?

What does the warning
   (WW) Falling back to old probe method for sis
mean?

It seems, that SiS recognizes my TFT monitor
   (--) SIS(0): Detected LCD/plasma panel (1024x768, 12, non-exp., RGB18
[c2e7ff])
But what does "12, non-exp., RGB18 [c2e7ff]" mean? Is the color depth 12
or 18 rather than 24?
And why does SiS spell out the modes
   (**) SIS(0): *Default mode "1024x768" (1024x768) (For CRT device:
65.1 MHz, 48.5 kHz, 60.1 Hz)
as if my monitor were a CRT?

So many questions. Any clue?

   Thanks in advance, Roland