XVideo on radeon mobility HD 5470

Cameron Hutchison lists at xdna.net
Mon Jun 7 23:33:09 PDT 2010

I have a Radeon Mobility HD 5470 in my laptop, but XVideo does not work.
xvinfo reports there are no adaptors present.

Xorg.0.log reports this:
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0

I am running kernel 2.6.34, xorg ati video driver 6.13.0 and I have the
firmware package installed for DRM (Debian sid, pkg
firmware-linux-nonfree).

I think the problem is that this card is too new and there is no
firmware for it yet. All the firmware in /lib/firmware/radeon is for
R/RS/RV cards, but my card is a CEDAR (post-RVxxx naming). There doesn't
seem to be any firmware for it, and the linux kernel drm does not seem
to try to load any firmware.

Other things seem to work OK. I've got KMS working, fbconsole on
radeonfb. I don't know how well 3D works, since I dont use it.

Is this something I will just have to wait until ATI makes firmware
available before I can get XVideo support? Can I tweak anything to get
it going? Have I got it all wrong and my problem is somewhere else?