Xv has color glitches with radeon driver

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 15:46:29 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at arcor.de> wrote:
> I'm not exactly sure when the problem first occurred, but it's been quite a
> while, definitely more than 6 months.  Here's a screenshot of the problem:
>
> http://i25.tinypic.com/2vkxrh3.png

Are you sure you uploaded the right image?  I don't see any bars in that image,

> This is with mplayer using Xv, on standard definition video in fullscreen.
>  Note the gree, red and blue color bars at the bottom.  They always appear,
> but naturally, they're most visible in dark scenes.  It's not an mplayer bug
> it seems, since pausing the video and going out of fullscreen and then back
> makes them go away temporarily.  Also, they never appear with AMD's binary
> fglrx driver or on non-radeon cards.
>
> The problem, as I mentioned already, is an old one.  Right now, I'm at:
>
> Radeon HD4870
> kernel 2.6.35_rc6
> xf86-video-ati Git master
> Mesa Git master
> X server Git master

Does it happen with any other movie players (totem, vlc, etc.)?  If it
is a driver bug, can you bisect xf86-video-ati to see when the problem
was introduced?  In the future, if you notice a problem, it's best to
report it as soon as you notice it.

Alex