Handing Control of Sentelic Touchpads to Synaptics

Éric Piel E.A.B.Piel at tudelft.nl
Thu Jul 22 23:33:34 PDT 2010

On 23-07-10 03:54, David Regev wrote:
> Èric,
>
> So, I have a git tree downloaded.  Sorry for the wait. I guess the next
> step is modifying sentelic.c. Now what?
Nope, not yet!
You have to compile and install the kernel and make sure it works as
well as your default kernel (at least for the mouse side).

Check in google, and "make help", but basically, you have to do:
make localmodconfig            # only the very first time
make                           # each time you modify the source code

sudo make modules_install firmware_install install # to install it

and then you reboot and select your new kernel in grub.
Precisely, the kernel doesn't have to work as well as your distro
kernel, but at least you should be able to boot into the graphical
interface, modify files, and move the mouse. It's nicer to have it fully
working in order to stay using this kernel all the time while your are
developing. In case there are some functionality missing, you might want
to check if some modules were not compiled in, and add them with "make
menuconfig"

Finally, when this is done, create a new branch in git:
git checkout -b sentelic

Then you can start modifying the driver :-)

Eric