devices support site?

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Mon Jul 19 11:58:09 PDT 2010

On 07/19/2010 08:42 PM, Corbin Simpson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Aljoša Mohorović
> <aljosa.mohorovic at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> i'm sure that this kind of site exists somewhere but i just can't find
>> it. so what exactly am i looking for?
>> any xorg user can identify device (with lspci, lshw, dmidecode or
>> something else) and then it should be able to get information on this
>> site:
>> - recommended driver to use and current driver state
>> - mailing list with support and development discussions
>> - support information and availability on linux distributions, bsd and
>> any other OS with xorg
>>
>> this site would also have list of top supported devices with best
>> driver support and supported opengl version.
>> i'm often in situation where i can't decide if i should buy a new
>> (probably without a good driver) or an old graphics card with stable
>> drivers.
>>
>> can somebody post a link to site with similar functionality?
>
> If I get bored enough, I suppose I could whip something up, but is it
> really that important? We put a lot of effort into making sure distros
> Do the Right Thing magically without user intervention.

Unless you are implying that all distros support all hardware out there
perfectly out of the box how does that help you make a buying decision?
In reality support for graphics cards differs wildly in supported features
and quality so you still need to know what that support looks like for a
given card if you want to make an informed decision what to buy.
Hopefully card X will be fully supported *eventually* but most users don't
care less about eventually and more about what is supported right now.

Regards,
   Dennis