Virtual desktop - smaller than display

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 11:04:08 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> if your hw supports a scaler, just set the smaller mode and have it
>>> scale up to the larger screen mode.  If not, you'll have to mess with
>>> the h/v border widths in the modeline to generate a center mode.
>>
>> Hmmm. Interesting. Does it work on LCDs? How do I calculate that?
>>
>> Current modeline is (from Xorg.0.log)
>>
>> 1200x900 x50.6 57.27 1200 1208 1216 1240 900 905 908 912 -hsync -vsync
>>

> Something like:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_lvds.c;h=31df55f0a0a7950a0e59ebce556fc30cde35b891;hb=refs/heads/drm-next#l276

Not working at all for me unfortunately. Maybe I am flunking the
modeline math, but I think that this specific driver (openchrome) has
special hardcoded magic for our display.

That modeline is what Xorg reports when it autodetects the modeline --
using the exact same modeline via explicit declaration kills the
display. So this driver ain't a friend of modeline tweaking.

Do we have a VirtualAndIMeanIt stanza?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions