Which driver for Elo touchscreen and recent versions of Xorg?

Tias tias at ulyssis.org
Mon Jul 5 09:00:56 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 01:47:04PM +0200, Javi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of migrating 200 game computers from Windows to
> Linux. Most of them have an Elo TouchSystems Touchscreen  as input
> device. After some research I have found two compatible drivers: the
> proprietary one (http://www.elotouch.com/Support/Downloads/dnld.asp)
> and the open source evtouch, but none of them are compatible with
> Xserver 1.5 or later.
>
> I plan to use X Server >=1.7.6 so ... is there any alternative driver
> available for such touchscreens in recent versions of Xorg?

Hey Javi,

Touchscreen hardware is now handled by the linux kernel. The driver that
Xorg will (automatically) use is 'evdev', which is perfectly fine.

In case your touchscreen is a serial device, you need to 'attach' it to
the kernel first. Check the 'inputattach' tool for this (sometimes
confusingly distributed as part of the 'joystick' package).

Kind regards,
Tias