Re-mapping the middlemouse paste functionality

Adrian Sud adrian at pigsflew.com
Fri Jan 29 10:33:19 PST 2010

Hi Ross,

> xmodmap should let you reassign the button codes (so the middle button
> is 7 and some side button is 2), but I suspect that this has changed now
> that XKB is ruling.  Worth a go though.
>
> Ross

Or I could use xinput to remap buttons--the problem is that I actually want
the middle mouse button to still report that it is button 2. This is because
I want programs that use middle-click for certain features (e.g. firefox,
some games, etc) to still have their features use the button they default
to. I also still want pasting from the paste buffer--I just want that
feature bound to button 7, not button 2.

As I said, I'm not sure this is currently possible, but I'd like to see  if
I can work out a way to do it.

Thanks for your response!
-Adrian