Re-mapping the middlemouse paste functionality

Adrian Sud adrian at pigsflew.com
Fri Jan 29 07:58:06 PST 2010

Hi,

I am trying to reconfigure the middle mouse button paste buffer command to
another one of the 7 available buttons on my mouse, but leave the 2nd mouse
button reporting itself as a 2nd mouse button.

Any googling and browsing of FAQs finds ways to disable the 2nd mouse button
entirely, or map the 2nd mouse button to another button (causing all other
functions tied to the 2nd mouse button to move to that other button as
well). Am I to assume that this is not a configurable thing?

This may be the wrong place to ask; I am assuming X controls this
middle-click paste buffer access because X is historically the controller of
pointer devices.

If it is not configurable yet, but is part of X11, let me know and I will
try to find where in the source the paste-buffer access is, and see if I can
modify it to add configurability.

If I should be asking on xorg-devel, let me know :)

Thanks,
-Adrian