X11 fullscreen

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Fri Jan 29 05:13:23 PST 2010

John Tapsell wrote:
> 2010/1/29 Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org>:
>> Please, please, stop telling people to write their own toolkits; it's
>> quite possibly the worst advice I've ever heard on this list, to be
>> honest.
>
> Not to mention that people are starting to demand cross-platform apps.

Most widget toolkits are made cross-platform by implementing only the
things in common to both windowing systems. This means abstracting
everything with pointer indirections leading to slow, complex, hard-to-
debug, and feature-bare toolkits. Instead, X should have been ported
to those systems and the widget toolkits should have only been a
slight bit of sugar around an enhanced Xlib. If i ever do anything
cross-platform, it will only be when an Xlib or an enhanced replacement
of it is ported.